I know, I know: “self care” is a relatively new term tossed around frequently and I often find myself in mid eye roll when I hear it mentioned. But it really is important as it effects our mental and emotional health and at the end of the day does make us better caregivers.
The three things I have challenged myself to do each day are:
- Get Outside. Sometimes it’s just to run around with my boys in the yard, but often it’s on a walk with my puppy.
- Yoga. I discovered a 30 day challenge on YouTube offered by Yoga with Adriene. She has a fun sense of humor and a cute dog and it starts off my day right.
- Read. Of course! Download the Libby app for so many great choices. Titles that I have recently enjoyed are “Me Before You” by Jojo Moyes and “Small Great Things” by Jodi Picoult.
There are so many wonderful suggestions to explore, but here are a few more favorites from other youth services librarians:
- Down Dog App: There is so much more to explore than just yoga and it’s currently free until May 1.
- YMCA 360: Free on-demand exercise classes.
- Oak: An app for guided meditations and breathing exercises.
Please put yourself first at least once per day. What other suggestions can you share?
Stay happy & healthy,